In 1973, Peter Webber, gifted eleven acres along the Menominee River to the Menominee County Historical Society. This land is historically significant because the first trading post on the river was established here in 1824 by Stanislaus Chaput, or more commonly referred to as, Louis Chappee. His gravestone still resides at this location.
Today, this land is known as the Chappee-Webber Learning Center and is operated by the Chappee Rapids Audubon Society and Menominee County Historical Society. From 1998 until 2014, these organizations jointly utilized the learning center to educate youth about the environment and local history. To assist this endeavor, the Elmer Hornick Memorial Shelter was constructed with the help of the Rotary Club.
To visit the learning center from Menominee follow these directions:
- Travel north on 10th Street (US HWY 41) to 48th Avenue
- Turn left (west) onto 48th Avenue
- Continue 4.4 miles to the Chappee Rapids Historical Marker (this road becomes #2 Road, then River Road)
- Go 0.2 miles further to the Chapee-Webber Learning Center sign